Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Day at the Sugar Shack






For my multiple picture story photo assignment, I made my way out to Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area. The old tradition that is the sugar shack has not died in Kingston, Ontario yet. Not only does a visitor to the sugar shack get to take a look at how maple syrup is made in this day and age, they get a glimpse of maple syrup's past. They can also get a pancake or two to enjoy outside the lodge at the sugar shack. Visiting the sugar shack is a tradition that many families from Kingston and the surrounding area do on an annual basis. This is Little Cat Creek's busiest year to date, selling anywhere from 1,000 to 1,600 pancakes a day during the weekend. It has been a good year for the staff and volunteers at the conservation area. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, and everyone who was at the sugar shack was great to work with. During my visit, they treated me like a welcome guest.

No comments: